The Department of Biochemistry invites applications from undergraduate students to participate in the Summer Student Research Program. Students will receive a stipend. In addition to gaining hands-on research experience, students attend weekly seminars discussing a variety of research topics and experimental techniques and present a summary of their project results in July-August.
Under the guidance of a Biochemistry faculty member, students have the unique opportunity to engage in research projects such as: molecular and cellular biology, protein structure and dynamics, membrane biology, computational biology, drug discovery and infectious diseases. See the list of participating faculty.
12 consecutive weeks during the summer (May to August)
- Students must have successfully completed at least one year in a full-time undergraduate program at the time of application, and by start of the work term in May.
- Students must have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least a B+ (cGPA of 3.3/77%) or higher.
- Students must have completed or be currently completing an introductory Biochemistry lecture (BCH210H or BCH242Y)/equivalent biochemistry lecture course and/or a biochemistry laboratory course.
Please ensure the following documents are included with your application package:
- Official academic transcript**
- A list of mid-term marks in progress (if applicable)
- The application form BCH-Summer-Student-Research-Program-Application-form-2023c
- References are optional: maximum of two references who are familiar with your most recent work/activities.
**University of Toronto students may email their application form and other required documents without the academic transcript to: Jennifer Haughton who will access the student’s ACORN.
Non-University of Toronto students must email a pdf copy of their official academic transcript with their application documents.
Eligible students are encouraged to email their application package by Tuesday February 28th 2023 to Jennifer Haughton
Candidates are selected on the basis of academic achievement, and their motivation for undertaking research in Biochemistry.
Due to the large numbers of applications, only candidates selected for the summer research in Biochemistry will be notified. The department thanks all applicants for their interest.
What students should expect in the Laboratory – https://www.glse.utoronto.ca/what-students-should-expect-laboratory