Students have the unique opportunity to participate in research in the following areas: cancer, infectious diseases, arthritis, protein misfolding diseases, neurodegenerative disorders, gene expression, kidney-related diseases and more. See the list of participating faculty for further information.
The Department of Biochemistry invites applications from undergraduate students to participate in the Summer Student Research Program. A highly selected group of students will be able to obtain research experience by working on a project in a Biochemistry Professor’s laboratory. Students will attend weekly seminar presentations that discuss a variety of research topics and experimental techniques. In mid-August, students will give a presentation summarizing the goals of their project and describing their results.
12 weeks during the summer (May to August)
- Students must have successfully completed at least one year in a full-time undergraduate program at the time of application and by start of the work term in May.
- Students must have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least a B+ (cGPA of 3.3 average).
- Students must have completed or be currently completing an introductory Biochemistry lecture (BCH210H or BCH242Y) and/or Biochemistry laboratory course.
Application Deadline: Wednesday February 8th 2017
Students are required to submit an application. Click here to download the application: summer-student-application-2017-form
Students must include:
- Official academic transcript*
- A list of mid-term marks in progress
References are optional, and may include a maximum of two references who are familiar with your most recent work/activities.
*Students currently registered at the University of Toronto, are only required to email their resume; a list of term test and/or mid-term marks from current “S” and “Y” courses and their application form to: Jennifer Haughton who will access ACORN for the academic transcript.
University of Toronto, Department of Biochemistry
Summer Research in Biochemistry
1 King’s College Circle, Room 5207, Medical Sciences Building
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8
Attention: Jennifer Haughton
Due to the large numbers of applications, only those students accepted into the Summer Student Research Program will be notified in early March. The Department of Biochemistry thanks all applicants for their interest.